SMTP authentication not functioning for email notifications

Check /var/log/maillog. If you see it getting rejected on the receiving end then ask chatgpt “how do I set up gmail relay on postfix”

If you have 2FA enabled on the gmail account then ask chatgpt “how to create device password on gmail account if 2fa is enabled”.

As I keep mentioning, there is no call to send any mail using the local sendmail method.

Here is the thread I started on that with a link to the bug report included. This thread is for SMTP not functioning

Using the mail command, I am able to successfully send an email so I know postfix is functioning.

Setting up a relay for postfix is not going to work either is the call to send an email from ASTPP is not functioning.

I don’t remember having a problem like that. If it’s like most of your other problems, it probably has something to do with your install again. Maybe you are missing a package. I am not sure what SMTP needs. Maybe php-cli?

At this point , the only difference between my and their install is using the Debian 11 repo for PHP (unless they are now using the Debian repo now since their recent updates), and MariaDB. I am not sure how either of those would affect creating SMTP errors, or not sending email at all.

I see php-cli is already installed, and I would think something in the logs would indicated if that was missing if needed.

For sending out email locally, I was literally watching the maillog to update after creating a new account. I see the system is supposed to send out a welcome email when that happens.

According the the email log in the ASTPP web interface, such an email was sent, but watching the maillog and waiting for an update in the log, that never occurred.

One can also send a Notification email from the home admin page for low, or past due balance. I have tried both SMTP account, and sendmail. Same results.

Addendum @sman123 :slight_smile:

About the SMTP setup in the web GUI.
The documentation is not clear on a proper setup.

However I am seeing a video on setup for Gmail. It is not quite the same as one would think it should be.

I tried doing it the same way for their Gmail example on my own server, but I still got the same result.

Missing packages will often not generate any errors. I would try enable all php debugging and see if you get any useful errors.

/opt/ASTPP/web_interface/astpp/application/config/config.php > $config[‘log_threshold’] = 4

This will cause a date stamped log file to be created at

/opt/ASTPP/web_interface/astpp/application/logs/

which shows all the PHP code being initialized and any errors in that code. This should only be enabled temporarily as the log files are not automatically deleted. There may also be some sensitive information in those files.

Lastly, you can enable php debugging by going to

/opt/ASTPP/web_interface/astpp/index.php

and set define ( 'ENVIRONMENT', 'development' ). This allows you to see the PHP errors in a web browser as they happen instead of just in the log files.

I did recently mention in the thread about the debug thread I created, that despite set to ‘0’ debug logs are still being generated even with the newest code.

The only two errors I am seeing are:

ERROR - 2023-08-25 00:00:34 --> Severity: Notice  --> Undefined index: billseconds /opt/ASTPP/web_interface/astpp/application/models/common_model.php 204
ERROR - 2023-08-25 00:00:34 --> Severity: Notice  --> Trying to access array offset on value of type bool /opt/ASTPP/web_interface/astpp/application/libraries/Usertracking.php 224

In your jira bug report you said you got an error in the ASTPP log that says “Authentication not enabled”. Show us your SMTP setup in the ASTPP UI. Especially the host configuration and port #. If you are using a service like gmail it should be ssl://smtp.googlemail.com using port 465.

The password should be a one time device password obtained on the google end if you have 2FA set up on the google end. Google will only verify that password on the first try and then it doesn’t need it anymore.

Maybe have a look at the CodeIgnitor Email Class documentation and see if you can find any clues in there.

1 Like

Thanks for that CodeIgniter link. While I can see better how they are using a lot of the code in the whole project now, there is no specifics on the correct format for the “smtp_host.” I suspect that could be my problem due to the STMP video they made for version 4 using Gmail.

I am using Port 587 because of using STARTSSL.

This thread is really old but there are some interesting troubleshooting suggestions in there you might want to try and see if they still work.

https://groups.google.com/g/astpp/c/BMT8_QFOgDw

Hi Mark,

Please follow the steps and let me know the output.

Open this file :
/var/www/html/astpp/application/libraries/astpp/email_lib.php
Line No : 258
echo $this->CI->email->print_debugger(); exit;

Remove the comment from this line and put exit.

Then follow the below mention steps

1. /var/www/html/astpp/application/modules/email/controllers/email.php
  2. comment out the below line.
    exec($command);
  3. then run the below comand in terminal
    cd /var/www/html/astpp/cron/
  4. run below command
    php cron.php BroadcastEmail
  5. And check output it will show you the exact error.

I have only used gmail and I know that works, so as a sanity check I would set up a gmail account and try that.

After spending some time figuring out Gmail’s new method to connect to their mail system, I got it set up and clicked on one of the “Notify” buttons on the main page. The email did go out, but it sent a double email (correction: was emails stuck in the queue).

I also spent some time on that thread you suggested. It is completely outdated. And the output from the php command only returns some output which looks like a curl command was ran.

:/var/www/html/astpp/cron# php cron.php BroadcastEmail
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0

Since it is not functioning plain ol’ SMTP, either it is bugged, or I am doing some setting incorrectly.

Since the documentation is devoid of any setting help, I don’t know which.

I think the docs needs to be put on some place where others could contribute.

UPDATE: The notification systems seems to be spamming me at this point.

I have three different accounts set up, and it is sending each account a low balance notification every hour

I finally figured this out searching in the CodeIgniter forum.

In /opt/ASTPP/web_interface/astpp/system/libraries/Email.php there is a setting on about line 41

var $smtp_crypto = " "; // SMTP Encryption. Can be null, tls or ssl.

Since my email server is using STARTTLS, I needed to put “tls” in the quotes, and made sure the account settings in the GUI is using port 587.

Also to @devangn:

Can the documentation be put on some sort of thing like a wiki where others can contribute? Issues like this is nowhere to be found in your documentation, and others cannot help with it.

@KNERD , let me try arrange something.

1 Like

No trying to hijack an apparently fixed issue and thread, but I’m experiencing similar issues with the SMTP config.

All parameters are set (port 465), tried ss://, ttl://, and without them plain SMTP Host. Logs do not show anything. I’m using POSTFIX.

I tried to edit the CodeIgniter file mentioned on this thread :

// var	$mailpath		= "/usr/sbin/sendmail"; // Sendmail path
var	$mailpath		= "/usr/sbin/postfix"; // POSTFIX path
var	$smtp_crypto = "tls"; // SMTP Encryption. Can be null, tls or ssl.

Same results, all my messages status stay at “pending”.

I can mail from this server from other app, without an issue, using Postfix. so Postfix parameters connects properly with the SMTP host, and sends email correctly and without problem. It is just my ASTPP installation not sending messages, and no logs whatsoever (related to mailing).

Is there something else I need to tweak in order to make ASTPP send emails using POSTFIX ? (and log mailing activity properly ?)

There is an option to have ASTPP send locally sendmail/postfix, but it does not seem to function at all.
I put in a bug report on that issue, and it is not making much progress.

Since you stated

It seems like you have the Sendmail option selected in settings, rather than SMTP selected.

For your line

There is no need for that. When postfix is installed, it already places a symbolic link.

Thanks for your reply.

I can’t find where else in ASTPP settings I can set SMTP instead of Sendmail.
My Installation is ASTPP V6 Community version, and the notifications settings looks like this:

Where SMTP option is either: enabled or disabled.

Also, I verified that there were no symlink created for postfix on my installation (for some reason), so I went ahead and just renamed the existing “sendmail” (usr/sbin) and created a Symlink “sendmail” pointing “postfix”. My php.ini has this line too: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

I rebooted it, and still not able to send notifications. Also the logs, only “astpp.log” appears to be recording some info. The other log in ASTPP log directory (astpp_email.log) is still blank (0 bytes) since the installation of ASTPP.

When SMTP is enabled, trying to adjust postfix or sendmail is is not going to help. The system is then using a mail client from CodeIgniter. You will have to check the local logs, and the mail server logs on the mail server.

Only when SMTP is disabled, and notifications set to yes will it use sendmail or postfix.

I tried that too. Same results. I even hard removed (purge) both SENDMAIL and POSTFIX, and I re-installed POSTFIX only (from scratch). Then I configured the parameters in Postfix Master files, and mail service is working again perfectly fine, whenever I use it to send mail from any other application / program installed (even Fila2Ban is sending me alerts) using this postfix config.
It is just my ASTPP installation, it’s like it is doing nothing when I attempt to send notification from this program. SMTP is disabled in ASTPP settings, but with Email Notifications “enabled”, and nothing appears under any LOG (either, regular Mail logs, or /var/log/astpp/astpp_email.log (which is completely empty). By the way, regular Mail LOGS (/var/log/mail.log , /var/mail/mail.err, etc.) from my server are working as expected. They are being populated with info whenever I use any other application to send mails through this POSTFIX running service.

Not sure where else to look at to try to troubleshoot specifically ASTPP notifications. Maybe will work if I re-install Sendmail, I haven’t tried that yet, but it will require to reverse my hours of settings in Postfix. And at the end of the day, l won’t use Sendmail on this server anyway (I want to keep POSTFIX for production server).

I only use Postfix and it works just fine with that. No need to use Sendmail.

I know it is not functioning, and why I put in a bug report for the sendmail/postfix issue.

https://jira.astppbilling.org/browse/ASTPPCOM-1395?filter=-2

For SMTP, as I keep mentioning, the system is using a PHP email client which the maillog will never be populated from using that.

You will have to check the ASTPP logs, and the mail server logs to troubleshoot that.

A good starting point like I did was to test SMTP using Gmail.

Thanks guys for trying to help me with this.
I tried testing by using SMTP with Gmail too, didn’t work either, and no logs (related to ASTPP notifications and/or ASMTP using SMTP or Mail instruction) to troubleshoot at all.
I guess I am just giving up. I will keep this server without notifications from ASTPP for now (I will try to
use other mechanism for alerts, maybe a Cronjob)

KNERD, hope your bug report gets solved, keep us updated on this thread. Thanks.