I want advice on Developing Custom Modules for ASTPP

Hello everyone,

I am diving into the world of ASTPP & am excited about the possibilities of extending its functionality through custom modules. I have some experience in PHP & MySQL but i want advice on best practices for developing modules within the ASTPP framework.

What is the advice for creating a custom module? Are there any specific directories or files I should focus on?? :thinking:
How can I effectively leverage ASTPP’s APIs while developing my module? I am interested in how I can utilize the google cloud platform for enhanced functionality.
What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating custom modules??

As well, I found these resources when doing research on this; Mod_spy astpp module & if anyone have any resources, tutorials or personal experiences please share with me, It would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you…….:slight_smile:

You didn’t specify if you are talking about the commercial product or the community project. They are two completely separate code bases.

The community project is basically abandonware using an ancient long since EOL version of CodeIgnitor. The developers try maintain the facade of an active project by updating the version number once in awhile, but it’s mostly for show as far as I can tell.

The commercial product uses a much newer version of CodeIgnitor and appears much more active. No idea what would be involved trying to add custom modules.

I think more than the community version is abandoned. Enterprise version 7 was supposed to be released over a year ago.

For the closed source modules, they use Roundcube.

For anything else, you may want to install the community version and check out how they made and the system installs the modules.

Other than that, like many other open source projects, the documentation tends to not be very good.

I am tempted to just fork the community project and update the CodeIgnitor framework myself. That is what the community edition needs more than anything else imo. I really like working with CodeIgnitor and updating it doesn’t look like too much work to me.

I already started updating CodeIgnitor on my own fork and so far it has gone fairly smoothly. I stopped because the developers of ASTPP claimed they were planning to do that. Now here we are maybe 2 years later and still nothing. If/when the CodeIgnitor framework is updated on the community edition, developing modules for it would be a more useful project. I would not want to waste my time doing it on the current code with the long since EOL CodeIgnitor framework.

1 Like

Which version are you upgrading to? I noticed they made a massive change from v3 to v4.

We expect you to submit PR back to ASTPP once you finish work in your forked branch. In between, if you think someone can help you with migration, then feel free to submit and we are happy to open the branch for it.